Samgyetang (삼계탕) – A Chicken-Ginseng Stew
Samgyetang is a healthy stew of chicken and ginseng. It is traditionally served during summer to help boost stamina when the heat drains the body of energy.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup of glutinous rice
- jujubes or asian dates
- asian chestnuts
- whole garlic
- 1 whole onion
- green onion
- whole pepper
- Rinse, then soak the rice for at least an hour (overnight if possible)
- Clean the chicken, inside and out.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with rice, then place in pot.
To keep the rice inside, one method is to cut one thigh and insert the other leg through the cut.
- Add other ingredients and water.
- With a pressure cooker, cook 10~15 minutes.
For stovetop, bring to a boil, then cook on low heat for 1~3 hours.
We hope you enjoy this recipe. Let us know if you made it and how it turned out.