“Ddeokbokki” (떡볶이) – Korean Spicy Rice Cake
Ddeokbokki is a spicy and sweet dish made from rice cake. The rice cake makes the sauce thick, giving it a nice texture. This recipe is very easy to make. Perfect snack or party food.
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon 고추장 or Korean hot pepper paste
- ½ tablespoon 고추가루 or Korean hot pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups 떡 or rice cake strips
- 1 cup 오뎅 or fish cake sheets, cut into small squares or strips
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped onion and/or cabbage
- Sesame seeds for garnish
In a cooking pot, combine the water, soy sauce, hot pepper paste and sugar.
Turn up the heat to medium and stir.
Stir in the rice cake. Once the sauce starts to simmer, lower the heat and continue to stir.
Stir in the fish cake.
Heat for about ten minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Mix in the hot pepper powder.
Once the sauce has thickened, add the chopped green onions and cook for one more minute.
Turn off the heat and serve. Add sesame seeds for garnish.