Bulgogi (불고기) is made using thinly sliced ribeye beef. It is marinated using mainly soy sauce and sugar, combined with cabbage, carrots and onions, and cooked over a hot pan.
It’s a great meal with sweet and tender beef that everyone is sure to love. You can marinate the beef, add the vegetables and cook on a portable stove right on the table, Korean restaurant style.
For detailed recipe directions, view our video here:
- 1~2 lbs (1 kg) Bulgogi Meat – Sliced Ribeye Beef
- 1 Whole Onion – sliced
- 1~2 Cups Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 Large Carrot – Diagonally cut and sliced into thin strips
- Green Onion – Thinly chopped
- 1 bunch of mushrooms – Enoki or other thinly sliced mushrooms
- Cooking Oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- (Optional) – Fresh hot pepper – finely chopped for garnish
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- (Optional) 1 Asian or Sweet Pear – Core and Blended – Can also use kiwi or pineapple. This helps tenderize the meat.
Preparation – Marinating the Beef
If you bought ready-to-cook bulgogi meat, it should already be thinly sliced. If not, cut your steaks into very thin slices, about 1 millimeter or 1/8-inch thick. You can also buy Bulgogi that is already marinated. In that case, skip to the next section.
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, garlic and fish sauce into a bowl and stir. To dissolve the sugar better, place in the microwave and cook for about 20~30 seconds, then stir.
- (Optional) Core and blend a pear (or kiwi, pineapple). Add to the marinade sauce.
- Add the marinade sauce to the bulgogi meat. Place in the refrigerator and allow it to marinate for at least an hour.
- Add the onions, carrots and green onions to the marinated bulgogi meat. Mix thoroughly. Set aside the mushrooms and cabbage.
- Heat a large wok or skillet to medium heat. Add some cooking oil.
- Add the bulgogi meat mix and stir-fry. Cook for about 1~2 minutes until the meat color becomes lighter.
- Add the cabbage and mushrooms and continue to stir-fry.
- Keep cooking and stirring until the cabbage is cooked. Liquid will form from the beef. Don’t try to reduce it as this will result in overcooking.
- Once cooked, transfer to a serving dish.
- Add sesame seeds and chopped hot pepper for garnish, if desired.
If you want to learn how to make other Korean dishes visit our main page at Yorihey.com.